nafex - [NAFEX] Cornell plum revue

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cornell plum revue
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 14:13:47 -0600

Having experience with many of the plums reviewed here I have to say I think reviews were highly slanted to Cornell releases (no surprise there).  I also felt that important cultural problems were pretty much overlooked such as relative susceptibility to cracking which is very high with Fortune, IME, moderate with Shiro and minimal with Santa Rosa types.  It is also much more a problem with gages than Italian types.

There was no mention of varieties that are unreliable croppers from what I've seen, such as Long John, which gave me the first good crop this year after waiting for 10-  Seneca has been awfully shy on most sites as well and I've stopped planting it.  I have heard from other growers on-line who complain of the same thing.   No mention was made of relative precocity, which seems pretty important, especially with the Euros.  I do wonder if the man has ever tasted a truly tree ripened Valor- it is hard for me to differentiate it from his prized Seneca but the season up there may explain this and other issues as I'm in southeastern NY.

  • [NAFEX] Cornell plum revue, Alan Haigh, 12/18/2010