nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Any US-Native Pine Nut/Pinyon for or the Northeast?

  • From: "Charles Rhora" <rhoras@nuttrees.com>
  • To: <fruitopia@firstva.com>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Any US-Native Pine Nut/Pinyon for or the Northeast?
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:57:08 -0500

Hello,

We have grown the edible nut pines in orchards here in Zone 4 in Ontario,
Canada.
The Korean pine started bearing here at the age of 8 - 10 years with well
filled cones.
At age 15 we were collecting approximately 5 bushels of cones per tree. The
cones are easily harvested,
As they ripen they fall from the branches on the trees, and it is a simple
task of collecting the cones.
We air dry the cones for 7 days, and the cones open and most of the pine
nuts fall free from the cone.
We also have 12 other varieties of edible nut pines. Reason for slow growth
of the pines is because they are not
Native to the North America and are unable to absorb the nutrients from the
soil. We developed an inoculant
That enables the trees to make use of the nutrients and they put on up to 15
- 18 inches of new growth each year.
Visit our website at nuttrees.com for more information.

Charles Rhora,
Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery.