nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Chokecherry vinegar question

  • From: Robert Capshew <rcapshew@insightbb.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Chokecherry vinegar question
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 11:44:36 -0500

Buy a wine making acid titration kit and follow the directions
except you must use 1 ml of vinegar and 9 ml of distilled water
because vinegar has approximately 10 times the acidity of
wine.

If you determine that the acidity is higher than the target acidity,
then multiple the quantity times the acidity then divide by the desired
acidity.  Subtract the result from the original quantity and you get
the amount of water to add to get the targeted acidity.  For example
one gallon (128 oz.) of a 7% acidity vinegar with a target of 5%:
128 * 7 = 896 / 5 = 179.2.  You need to add 51 oz. to get to 5%.
You can double check this by taking diluted quantity times target
acidity (179.2 * 5 = 896).

If that doesn't make sense, contact me offline.

Bob Capshew
S. Indiana