nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Any reviews on flavor characteristics of these persimmons spp.: D...

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Any reviews on flavor characteristics of these persimmons spp.: D...
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 20:22:20 EST

Hi Steve,

Has anyone here tasted the fruit of: date-plum (Diospyros lotus),
I've tasted quite a few D. lotus. Never tasted one that I particularly liked. Low sugar and flavor isn't particularly inviting. diamond-leaf/princess persimmon (D. rhombifolia), uncommon;  (D. texana) it is better than lotus for sure but not as good as kaki, also very small, for those who live in Texas and the vicinity? I've tasted the black sapote (D. digyna) at the Fruit & Spice Park south of Miami, FL and another Botanical Garden in FL. It is better than either lotus or texana, very large and is said to make good milk shakes. The three trees at Fruit & Spice Park were blown over in Hurricane Andrew about 6 years ago and no longer exist.

Jerry

  • Re: [NAFEX] Any reviews on flavor characteristics of these persimmons spp.: D..., Jwlehman, 11/21/2010