nafex - [NAFEX] Self-fertile Meader A. arguta Male?

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Self-fertile Meader A. arguta Male?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 17:10:47 -0800 (PST)

I've recently come across some information claiming that A. arguta 'Meader' (male) is self-fertile and produces fruit without another pollinator as well as pollinating other female kiwis.  Frankly, I don't believe it but there is at least one company selling this variety making that claim and some other sources supporting this on the web.

Anybody here have the facts?  I realize that kiwi pollination is somewhat atypical as apparently fruit production can take place for some varieties when pollinated cross species.  Any solid info would be appreciated.

thanks

John