nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PRI apples

  • From: david liezen <chandos49@hotmail.com>
  • To: Nat'l Ass'n of Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PRI apples
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 22:13:53 +0000

A buddy of mine, who has owned his property just a few years, decided to hire someone to spray his big ol' apple tree this season. We picked over 2000 apples, mostly under-sized, naturally. The size, color and taste revealed it to be an old Winesap: my childhood favorite, and the first I've encountered since coming to Spokane 18 years ago. (Hadn't looked that hard, frankly.)
Winesap exhibits resistance to CAR, but I doubt it is particularly scab resistant.
Both Grimes Golden and Goldrush resist CAR, if memory serves from the reading I'd done. Your season ought to be long enough for Goldrush.

Dave Liezen, E. WA z6