nafex - [NAFEX] heritage apples provide better flavor

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] heritage apples provide better flavor
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:24:35 -0500

I could easily set up a blind taste test to assure the subjects would prefer either heritage or modern apples if I was silly enough.  It would all depend on the varieties.   Every serious apple connoisseur I know has some favorite modern apples and some favorite heritage apples.  I like tart, dense fleshed apples most of all- at least for eating out of hand and a good Gold Rush or Braeburn is just as good to me as something like Ashmead's Kernel or Cox.  Goldrush is becoming my favorite of all because it has a big a flavor as any apple there is, stores for a year and is relatively easy to grow if you have the season for it.  As far as blind taste tests for the general public, I doubt any heritage apple would beat a good Honeycrisp.  Not that it's on my top 10 list.

  • [NAFEX] heritage apples provide better flavor, Alan Haigh, 10/25/2010