nafex - [NAFEX] Why not field graft

  • From: "Tim Inman" <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Why not field graft
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:06:08 -0500

Here's my 2 cents worth on bench grafting vs. field grafting:

I'm older, I'm a guy, and I don't like 'standing on my head' in the mud in the garden in the spring.

I'm older - so I'm prone to be a little set in my ways.  "we've always done it that way before...."

I'm a guy - which is really important.  Guys (me) are not flexible.  My wife can just bend right down and tie her shoes.  I have to find a chair to perch my backside against when I tie my shoes because my bender just don't bend so good anymore.

Finally, bench grafting in my shop in the late winter/early spring is pleasant.  I get a good wood fire going in the stove, some tunes on the radio, and a nice stool to perch on, and I'm warm and happy.  I think this improves my attitude enough that I get a much higher % take on my grafts, too.

If you like being outside, and you can bend, why not?!  Go for it.  But that's my input on the subject.

:)

Tim

  • [NAFEX] Why not field graft, Tim Inman, 10/25/2010