nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Rootstock Rundown

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Rootstock Rundown
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 19:16:55 -0500

Jim, I know apples are not pears, but I've had good success putting fruiting pear scions on an 8-inch piece of OHxF513, as an interstem, and grafting the whole thing onto callery pear seedlings lined out the same spring. 100% takes and vigorous growth - no waiting a season or year for the interstem to grow out to bud or graft.

Did about 25 of these, mainly as an experiment; I'm not noticing any significant dwarfing conferred by the 513 - just as Anton &/or Dr. Natelson told me I wouldn't.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY