nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Rootstock Rundown

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Tim Inman <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Rootstock Rundown
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:03:27 -0400

Hey All,

You have a good point Tim. Bud-9 is growing in popularity in my area of
Wisconsin but, but its anchoring ability is lacking. I have been considering
doing Bud-9 interstems on MM111/EMLA111. It seems to be a a nice resolution
of the dwarfing vs anchoring ability. The only real problem that I see is
the extra year spent doing the interstem/rootstock. I hope to try it after
all the good things I have read about it
This past spring, I grafted Bud-9 on Antonovka so I will hopefully get to see
some results in the near future. All of my scion wood grafted to Bud-9 root
stocks took well but the Bud-9 interstem to Antonovka gave me only 50 percent
take. Trying the Antonovka was more of an experiment but I do plan on trying
the MM111 in the future. Does anyone know of any nurseries that sell the
Bud-9 interstem/MM111?

Take Care,

Jim Elie
Green Bay, WI