nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Best Very Late Apples

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Best Very Late Apples
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 18:23:03 -0400

Jim, have you tried Spartan? It was bred by Agriculture Canada at Summerland BC in the 1920s I think, McIntosh x Newtown. It produces a quite high quality apple in the sunny hot dry Okanagan Valley. I like the Ontario grown fruit but it seems to have taken second place here to Empire. It's said to have some scab resistance.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario