nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'Hector Black'" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:37:09 -0500

Performance of mulberry varieties is variable from place to place.
Illinois Everbearing is tops here, but for my friend Gordon Nofs, in Flint
MI, it's just so-so; Gordon had an unnamed rubraXalba hybrid that he
purchased as 'Pakistan', but it wasn't - top producer for him, but when I
grafted it here, it was mediocre.
I bought a 'Wellington' years ago, and if it's actually true to name, it's
been a disappointment - relatively small berries with OK flavor - but I
rarely challenge the birds for any - and it has a horrible 'trashy' growth
habit. Maybe it's better in NY.

I have two very good M.rubra selections that I've made from native
populations, 'Dumpster Delight' from Lee Co., AL and 'Lawson Dawson' from
Christian Co., KY. Fruit quality is equal to Illinois Everbearing, and
fruits are a little bigger - but the season is short. Can supply scions to
anyone who'd be interested in trialing these.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY