nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Can Low-Chill Rootstock Affect Grafted Bits?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Can Low-Chill Rootstock Affect Grafted Bits?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 07:37:21 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Megan,

The rootstock can affect the chill requirements of the scion. Quite a bit of
research was done on this and other aspects of dormancy onset & release. It
appears that the shoot bud is the active point of perception of cool
temperatures (notice I said cool, not cold... temps 0 degrees C & below have
no effect on dormancy release). Therefore, one would expect that the larger
the rootstock portion of the tree and the lower the chill requirement of that
stock, the greater the effect and the influence would be significant on fruit
crops like apple and pear, which have lots of shoot buds even on below-ground
parts of the plant, whereas some other crops, like peaches would have minimal
influence on the scion because they have few shoot buds on the lower part of
the tree. This has been borne out by university research.

I don't believe that dumping ice around the base of the plant would have a
significant effect unless you kept the ice on constantly for a sufficient
period and the plant was small (therefore the proportion of the plant being
chilled was significant). Research has shown that the response of fruit
plants to chilling temperatures is complicated and that short periods of 2-10
degrees C (the range that satisfies chilling requirements) can be negated if
they are followed by high temperatures (e.g. 24 degrees C). Interestingly,
the chilling requirements are satisfied more rapidly if the chill temperature
period is alternated with a moderate temp, like 15 degrees C. This kind of
makes sense, when you think about it because in nature trees are exposed to
alternating very cool and less cool temperatures in a night/day cycle.

Anton
Zone 8