nafex - [NAFEX] Pear variety?

  • From: Deb S <debs913@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pear variety?
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:38:43 -0400

After trying and failing to grow pear trees here for 12 years, I was riding the ATV around our 42 acres and spotted a fruit tree this spring.  Turns out it is a pear tree...30 feet tall and very healthy.  It set a bumper crop of pears too!

I did nothing for this tree (but stay away, since I have such a jinx to pears).  The fruit is in pretty good shape, overall.  The pears are small, very hard and gritty, but do have juice and a good pear flavor.  I am trying to ripen some in the house now.  They are very russeted with a golden color over green.

Any idea on what the variety might be?  Is there a definitive way to discover varieties (e.g. genetic tests?)  If not, I've got a name picked out to name it :)

deb
SE Ohio, Zone 6