nafex - Re: [NAFEX] what should I plant

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] what should I plant
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 14:49:44 -0400

Alan wrote:

Sure Cortlandt is fine off the tree, but a few weeks later- completely
worthless in my book so I would only grow it for cider.
<<<<

Sorry Alan, but I really have to disagree with you on this one!
As grown up North, Cortland needs time to develop its flavor and it is at
its best by the end of November, the skin becomes slightly greasy, flesh
becomes slightly tender, but the aroma and flavor are just undescriptible.
When I arrive at the orchard house in late fall after having been in the
city for a couple of weeks, I open the door - and there are about 10
bushels of Cortland sitting there - the smell in the house is almost
intoxicating. First thing I do is to bite into a Cortland and I think that
Nature is so good for us!

Also I agree that Honeycrisp is definitely worth growing. I did say I find
it a bit low in flavor, but nevertheless these apples are among the fastest
to disappear! So, when a crop of apples is entirely consumed, it surely is
worth growing it. What I like also of Honeycrisp, is that I get a very high
percentage of absolutely perfect apples even if I do zero spraying.

Claude