nafex - Re: [NAFEX] what should I plant?

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] what should I plant?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:19:58 -0500

Richard, I’m not familiar with your intended uses for the apples you grow, but I’d like to suggest you try at least one or two the University of Minnesota cultivars.   The Minn. Ag Experiement Station has descriptions of these at http://www.apples.umn.edu/index.html .

Too bad that Honeycrisp doesn’t seem to be all that flavorful in Maine; it’s wonderful here in Minnesota.

My observations on some of the other Univ. of Minnesota cultivars:

‘Chestnut’ crabapple: When it is in season, I don’t buy anything else.  I love its nutty, distinctive flavor.  Size is just right for a kid, too: three or four bites and it’s history.

SnowSweet (‘Wildung’):  This has been very good every time I’ve tried it.  Wonderfully white flesh that is very slow to oxidize.  Great for salads.

‘Honeycrisp’: As grown in Minnestoa, this is excellent eating.

‘Honeygold’:  Minnesota’s answer to the cold-tender ‘Yellow Delicious’, but more sprightly in flavor.  Excellent eating and one of my all-time favorites.

‘Centennial’: I have not tried it, but many swear that this early-season apple-crab is the best-tasting of its type.  Unfortunately, it does not store well.

‘Keepsake’:  Excellent eating with a distinctive flavor that develops after this late-season cultivar has been in stored for a while.

‘Frostbite’:  I’ve not tried it yet, but if it’s as highly flavored as the promo says it is, I think this will be one of my favorites.  It’s one of those love it or hate it apples.

SweeTango (‘Minneiska’) and Zestar (‘Minnewashta’):  I’ve not tried these yet, but intend to this fall.  People who have tried them say they are excellent (as grown in Minnesota).

-- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Hardiness Zone 4B)