nafex - [NAFEX] OT - White Pom Pom Mushrooms

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] OT - White Pom Pom Mushrooms
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:49:00 -0400

I'm appealing to any mushroom experts out there! Just walked around my lot and came across a small cluster of what I beleive to be white pom pom mushrooms (that certainly seems to be the best description).  Lacking expertise in this area (as well as many others) I googled them and found that they are meant to be a culinary delicacy. However it says that they are typically 4 to 10 inches in diameter and the largest I have are about 1.5 inches.

They are growing near some roses and not far from a pear tree.
My questions are as follows:

1. Are they really edible? If so any suggestions for preparing them?
2. Should I wait till they get to 4 inches and if so will they get that big before winter? They certainly have appeared and grown quickly.
3. Are they are sign that all is not well with something? Will their presence (and growth, both in size and numbers) be detrimental to the rose and/ or pear?

Any expertise in the area greatly appreciated as always.

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, Qc

Questioning whether to harvest my Pricilla apples (1st time) and my mysterious blue plum (seems to be Mont Royal) which is taking it's time.