nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT - White Pom Pom Mushrooms

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT - White Pom Pom Mushrooms
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 09:35:11 -0500

Caren,  That type of mushroom is pretty distinctive and not likely to get you into trouble.  If you were in a bit of a dry spell, not enough rain in one go to grow them to full size, that would account for them being small.  I've never seen very many of those, we know them as lions mane, and never small ones, but I can see how it could happen.  Like the oyster mushrooms that are big in the fall but small in summer.  (Most species have a distinct season and any seen outside that season are something else, but they don't all operate that way)  I don't think they stay prime for very long, so hurry if you are going to pick them.  And keep that spot in mind because you'll probably find them again when conditions are right, for years to come if you are lucky.  Oyster mushrooms are another good one to know where they grow, usually on standing dead trees and then on the logs after they fall.     Donna