nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ribes anthracnose

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ribes anthracnose
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:18:07 -0400

My Ben Sarek all have their leaves, my Ben Lamonde (right next to BS) have lost all their leaves, my Red Lake (right next to BL) have all their leaves. Both species of my goosberries have their leaves.

I recall early current defoliation in previous years - crops were not affected.

I do not see any fruiting bodies on the leaves that do have some black spots. How about pollution with some varieties being more suscebtible?

Googled and found: http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/disease.cfm?RecordID=509

jmb
Canadian Zone 6B - just north of Toronto

ps

Beat the apple thieves this year - 80% of my domestic-use crop was picked on the weekend. Loved the one Richelieu I had on my 2nd year P22 whip! Only Spies, Keepsake, Red and Yellow Delicious left - 1-2 weeks to go. One and a half large bushels were picked from an 8' Ida Red on M26 that undergoes heavy pruning in June and late August - tennis ball size and larger apples!
Figs are more than half way (Excel, a large yellow is superbly large and I believe the sweetest!) - now fighting the tree rats for the rest and some later maturing apples. (found that 'Plaster of Paris /Peanut Butter Bob-Bons' were ineffective when I tried tham a couple of years ago.
Waiting for four Siberian pommegranates to mature - moved the potted plant into my greenhouse to avoid the tree rats and raccoons.
Great crop of sweet Damsons. I have also been pruning it heavy to keep the tree dwarfed.

I gave a Turkish Red fig to my 90 yr old mother that did well the 1st year, mediocre last year (as did mine ) and is now dying with the figs shrivelling (over fertilizing?-as my mother is known to do)! I gave a another to my partner that emulated my mother's except that this year it had minimal foliage and No Figs - but it is still alive (also fertilized and possibly excessively watered). Any ideas?