nafex - [NAFEX] currant and gooseberries hit hard with anthracnose/leaf spot

  • From: "Anton Ptak" <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] currant and gooseberries hit hard with anthracnose/leaf spot
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 09:24:28 -0500

anyone had a problem with anthracnose/leaf spot on currants and gooseberries? From what I've read of these diseases, they are fairly similar only varying with the size of the brown spots, later yellowing the leaves and causing early defoliation. Seems that warm, wet, and humid weather is when these problems appear, which fits the description of our weather this year. Most of the Pink Champagne pink currants and Jonkeer Von Tets red currants, along with my Pixwell gooseberries have nearly totally defoliated and only have a few leaves at the very end of the canes at this point. In contrast, my recently planted black currants are spotless with many new canes and look fantastic.

I'm wondering how the bushes can bounce back from this problem the following year. Seems like they will probably produce less since the disease seems to have limited new growth.

In reading about the solution for this, seems like bordeaux or lime sulfur is recommended starting in the spring. Has this solution been successful for anyone. Any other solutions to be considered. We do plan on raking up and destroying the mulch once all the leaves have fallen.

Thanks,
Anton Ptak
W. Wisconsin zone 4a