nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ugni molinae / Chilean Guava

  • From: "Idell Weydemeyer" <iwgarden@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ugni molinae / Chilean Guava
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 08:01:19 -0700

Hi--

I have grown Chilean guava for years-- I really like the fruit. They taste
like a small spicy apple but much more complex. There are supposedly two
varieties--one with more rounded leaves and one with more pointed leaves. I
have both and the fruit seems to be identical. My bushes are really loaded.
They hold on the bush for about a little over a month then seem to fall off
overnight. So far the birds have been mostly busy on my apples about then --
(from poking holes to eating all of them) so seem to not eat the berries. I
could try to dry some and mail some after I pick them in another month if
you want to try them.

Some people her have had trouble getting them to fruit-I am not sure why.

I am in zone 9a and overlook the San Pablo Bay east of San Francisco and
north of Berkeley (I am warmer than both areas)

Idell Weydemeyer