nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fuji apple

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fuji apple
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 23:07:51 -0400

Hi, You should be able to grow a Fuji apple tree. One of these years, I may
try a shorter season type of Fuji, of which there are several. Otherwise,
with a regular Fuji, you may be able to grow a decent tree but never get ripe
apple. Maple Vally Orchard, up in Gillet, Wisconsin has a nice website and
offers a large number of apple varieties. Some of his varieties will rarely,
if ever, ripen fruit in his zone 4 but he gets some nice trees and sells the
scionwood.

As for the dwarf size, grafting on to a Bud-9 rootstock gives a tree about
6-10 foot height depending on the vigor of the scionwood. There are other
options as well.

My wife and I live in the Green Bay area and drive up there several times
each fall to try some of his antique varieties. He works closely with the UW
Agricultural Extension Agency giving classes on fruit tree cultivation and
grafting. They also hold 2-3 apple tastings in the fall.

Good Luck

Jim Elie
Green Bay, WI
zone 4/5