nafex - [NAFEX] hawthorn

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] hawthorn
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:27:11 -0500

There is a roadside park a few miles from my house. The park is
filled with hawthorn bushes not trees. The hawthorn berries are dry
with no flavor. Some people here make jelly from them. A woman told
me she uses red coloring and adds flavoring to the jelly. I don't
understand why even try to make jelly from the hawthorns. A few years
I planted hundreds of hawthorn berries in my garden but none of them
germinated.
I wanted bushes for the birds. Possibly the mice ate them over the
winter.