nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Termites

  • From: "Lori Rizzo" <larizzo@charter.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Termites
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 00:27:35 -0400

Today I emptied our my whiskey barrels so I could prep them for my strawberries. I’ve had them 2 years, and they’re still holding together. Unfortunately, over the winter, the termites have moved in, and all the barrels were loaded with them.  Looks like we have to get termite control pretty quick, so I’ll do that for the house.  However, I had some termite & carpenter bee killer and thought about treating the barrels.  However, the stuff is so toxic, I don’t want to use it around my food gardens.  So, now, I’m thinking about painting or coating the barrels with something.  I hate to throw them out, but I can’t afford to board termites, either.

Any suggestions?  This has never happened.  We just bought the house, and we required the house be treated up front because there were some signs of termites on some wooden railroad ties by the house.

Lori

Lori Rizzo, RN BSN MBA

Health Care Quality Improvement

Pet Training & Behavior Improvement!