nafex - Re: [NAFEX] vole damage

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] vole damage
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:47:35 -0500

I saw enough vole evidence this season to consider a restricted use vole
poison. I've set out traps also, and caught voles as well as shrews (shrews
are friendlies btw). I called a commercial grower in MO about this problem.
He indicated as long as he keeps a good clean glyphosate strip under the
trees during the growing season, voles don't cause much of a problem in his
locale. The results may be quite a bit different where you're at. I
suspect where snowfall is heavy, vole damage will be worse.

When I was a hog farmer, PVC like bait stations completely eliminated any
unintentional poisonings.

Mark
zone 6 KS