nafex - [NAFEX] vole damage

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] vole damage
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:22:48 -0500

I have some one pound blocks of rat and mouse poison bait. They are
scored to allow blocks to be broken up. If I break up the blocks and
scatter in my field, I'll probably poison my dogs and other
unintended victims. I'm going to bore small holes (about 1 inch
diameter} in the sides near the bottoms of five gallon plastic
buckets, put in a full block of bait in each bucket and cover.
Should keep out dogs and other animals. Scattering poison grain
around plants isn't responsible. Hopefully, I can reduce the vole
population in my field. Last year for several weeks I put out six
mouse traps and trapped a variety of small rodents. Mice, voles and
shrews. I trapped something in each trap every day. Any other ideas
about vole control? I would certainly like to hear from you. My cat
only kills shrews as far as I can tell from the corpses scattered
near my house. She did kill a star nosed mole once. Voles are
bigger than shrews and probably more secretive.