nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grafting with rootstock breaking dormancy

  • From: "Bob Hartman" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grafting with rootstock breaking dormancy
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 20:20:10 -0700

Before using the Parafilm on stone fruits I would use the whip and tongue
method on the grafting using only budding strips and then dabbing some tree
seal on the tips and letting it dry. Then I would bury the bundle of grafts
(horizontal) on the south side of a sawdust pile for 2 to 3 weeks to start
the healing process. When I would remove them from the sawdust the buds
from the graft would be swelling and everything would look great. I would
plant them out and then a wind would come along and dry out the graft and
many would not survive.

After I started covering all my stone fruit grafts with Parafilm M my percent of takes increased considerably. I still bury the graftings in the sawdust and the new buds from the scionwood come right through the Parafilm. When I plant them out they don't dry out like they did before.

Bob
Western Washington