nafex - [NAFEX] grafting with rootstock breaking dormancy

  • From: "Anton Ptak" <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting with rootstock breaking dormancy
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:05:52 -0500

As I have only 1 year grafting experience, I have a question regarding using rootstock that has broken dormancy - does it have much effect on the success of the grafts that the rootstocks are no longer dormant, provided the scionwood is still well dormant?

Would chip grafting prove better than whip and toungue in this case, or would either work about equally?

We have plum (prunus americana) and cherry rootstock (krymsk-5) that has just started to break, as well as a few OHF 333 pear rootstocks we dug quite awhile ago. We still have plenty of pear and apple rootstocks that are still dormant, however. And there are plum, cherry, and pear scions expected shortly . . .

Thanks,
Anton in W.Wisc (zone 4a)