nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Availability of grafting wood-my tree list for future reference

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Availability of grafting wood-my tree list for future reference
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 08:14:53 -0700 (PDT)

I hereby nominate Sarah to be Grand Germplasm Curator of the North. You have
a real ark up there.

Oh, and thanks, Sarah, for the honeyberry seeds. Although for such an early
fruit, they still require an ironic amount of patience, as the seedlings are
very slow-growing. You sent more seeds than I had room for, so I shared them
with 3 other gardeners in my area.

Getting back to gov't germplasm stinginess, I can imagine a day where amateur
gardeners are so well organized, via the web, that we could conveniently find
and request just about any grafting wood we want from our fellow amateurs. We
can do that now of course, but I can see it getting easier with better
organization. At some point, gardeners might be so well organized, there will
be no need for these government germplasm banks.

As long as we're paying for these banks with our tax dollars, though, they'd
better distribute stuff to us.

Melissa