nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice for Transplanting/Dividing Fruiting Plants (Hazelnut, Black Currant, Juneberry)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice for Transplanting/Dividing Fruiting Plants (Hazelnut, Black Currant, Juneberry)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:58:07 -0400

I do different stuff for different plants. I've had better luck with fall
planting of currants (bare root) but brambles seem to like spring planting,
for instance. I don't know anything about hazelnuts or juneberries.
Actually, brambles are pretty easy to transplant, so long as you don't let
the roots dry up or leave them exposed to direct sunlight.

Currants break dormancy very early, and slow down by mid-summer, which may be
why they are so easy to move in the fall. If you need to move them in the
spring I would take as large a soil ball as I could and try not to disturb
the roots too much.

I left some old wood on my brambles when I transplanted some locally in the
fall, and I got a little bit of fruit the following year. I don't know if
they would have established faster if I had chopped them off, but I got 100%
take, and they did fine.

There are mixed opinions as to pruning the tops. Some say it puts less
stress on the damaged roots, others say that more leaf matter gives the plant
more energy to re-grow its roots. I talked to a few arborists about this
when one of my trees had its roots damaged by a neighbor. For brambles, it
seems easy to remove most or all of the old growth, and let the new growth
feed the roots. For currants, I'm less sure. It's important not to let them
dry up, of course, so if you won't be able to irrigate over the summer
perhaps it's best to prune.

I'd selectively remove branches, mostly because I wouldn't want to deal with
a decapitated shrub for the next several years. I doubt it matters much to
the survival of the bush, though.

all the best,
Ginda
easterm MA, zone 6