nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice for Transplanting/Dividing Fruiting Plants (Hazelnut, Black Currant, Juneberry)

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice for Transplanting/Dividing Fruiting Plants (Hazelnut, Black Currant, Juneberry)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:10:54 -0700 (PDT)

If it is possible I would keep soil around the roots as much as possible.
This will help keep from breaking fine roots which will really help the plant
recover from the move more quickly.

Brambles have biennial canes, so cutting them back to a few inches does
several things. First it removes flowers which may draw energy from the
plant as it is trying to re-establish, and second it removes top growth that
will be drawing water from the roots. Moving plants, disturbs and usually
breaks off a lot of the fine feeder roots that the plant uses to take up
moisture and nutrients from the soil. You don't want excessive top growth
needing this on a plant whose ability to take up this water has been
compromised. With this in mind, all of your plants that you are moving
should be pruned back to help keep from stressing the plant until it has a
chance to regrow these new roots. How hard you prune them back will depend
on how much of the roots you are disturbing and the size of the plant etc.

Hope this helps some,

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon