nafex - [NAFEX] Advice for Transplanting/Dividing Fruiting Plants (Hazelnut, Black Currant, Juneberry)

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Advice for Transplanting/Dividing Fruiting Plants (Hazelnut, Black Currant, Juneberry)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:04:11 -0500

The ground is almost thawed here in Northern VT and I've been thinking
about moving around some 2 and 3 year old plants (not in nursery beds)
while they are dormant. I remember reading somewhere that brambles
should be cut back to a couple of inches above the soil level when
transplanted (to stimulate new root growth?). Are there any similar
pruning rules (stem or root) for other fruiting plants, specifically
hazelnuts, black currants, and juneberries? Aside from making sure the
roots don't dry out, is it advantageous to keep as much soil on the on
the roots as possible rather than treating the plants like bare roots?
I was also wondering if I should pick off flowers the first year after
transplanting?

As I am writing this I'm thinking that maybe the same rules would
apply when creating new plants from suckers?

Thanks.

-Sherlock