nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:14:25 -0600

Ernest, when I was in Romania, there is a lot of herbal tinctures &
nutritional juices that have seaberry as a main constituent. You also
find freshly pruned branches loaded with fruit at all the farmer
markets. Very high in vitamin C

I wish I had enough fruit to try making wine with it. Maybe next year.

Here's a nutritional panel for them I found at:

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/seabuckthorn.htm

Constituents of Sea Buckthorn Fruit (per 100 grams fresh berries)
Vitamin C 200-1,500 mg (typical amount: 600 mg)
Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) Up to 180 mg (equal to about 270 IU)
Folic acid Up to 80 mcg
Carotenoids, including beta carotene, lycopene, zeaxanthine; these
contribute the yellow-orange-red colors of the fruit 30-40 mg
Fatty acids (oils); the main unsaturated fatty acids are oleic acid
(omega-9), palmitoleic acid (omega-7), palmitic acid and linoleic acid
(omega-6), and linolenic acid (omega-3); there are also saturated oils
and sterols (mainly β-sitosterol) 6-11% (3-5% in fruit pulp, 8-18% in
seed); fatty acid composition and total oil content vary with
subspecies
Organic acids other than ascorbic (e.g., quinic acid, malic acid;
ingredients similar to those found in cranberries) Quantity not
determined; expressed juice has pH of 2.7-3.3
Flavonoids (e.g., mainly isorhamnetin, quercetin glycosides, and
kaempferol; these are the same flavonoids as found in Ginkgo biloba.
100-1,000 mg (0.1% to 1.0%)

~mIEKAL