nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:22:26 -0600

Betsy, I don't have any notes about harvest time but I think the last
few years it's been in the first couple weeks in September, tho there
seems to be a range of variability in my planting. I'm in z4b in SW
Wisconsin.

It's also important to note that seaberries are virtually impossible
to pick, both because of the thorny scrubby nature of growth & because
the berries are quite soft & fragile. The last few years I've done it
the old world way & cut the branches off & put them in the freezer &
then thwack the frozen branches & berries on a countertop. Works well
for small amounts.

Also, while they seem to have no hardiness issues, I've lost plants
several times in the middle of the summer. Someone else posted saying
they thought they were drought intolerant & it occurs to me that that
might be what is happening for me.

~mIEKAL