nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn cultivars

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: rafter sass <rafter@liberationecology.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn cultivars
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 4:09:08 +0000

Hey All,

Last year St Lawrence Nurseries offered two of the best varieties to come out
of Canada. They went through a lengthy evaluation program. The results of
this program are available online, either html or pdf. The names of these
varieties are Harvest Moon and Orange September. If you call St Lawrence
Nurseries they may still have a few they could sell you. The male they sell
may be the highly rated male from the same program. Last year, St Lawrence
was selling these cultivars for 11.50 each. Google these varieties and check
them out. They performed better than many of the known Eurasian varieites.
They may not be thornless.....and only have fewer thorns than the norm, but
you can get better descriptions online.

I have been growing sea buckthorn for about five years. I have Leikora,
Harvest Moon, Orange September, Byantes, Amber Dawn, and a male from Jung's
seeds. The two varieties mentioned above were only purchased last year and
will probably need another year at least. The Byantes has the sweetest fruit
of the ones that have fruited, but the berries are small and held closely to
the branches. It does have thorns. The Amber Dawn is my favorite of my
fruiting varieties. It has the largest fruit, is nearly as sweet as Byantes,
The berries are much more easily picked than Byantes, but it still has
thorns. My Leikora is by far the most productive and latest fruiting but has
a much more tart berry. This small tree has thorns but a nice pyramidal
shape as well. The berries are very persistent and will stay on the tree all
winter.

Good Luck

Jim Elie
Green Bay Wisconsin