nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn cultivars

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn cultivars
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 20:20:29 -0600

I've followed One Green World catalogues since they began, but hell if I'm could ever afford those prices. There's gotta be other alternatives. I wonder if any of the germplasm repositories offers cuttings.

I went the opposite direction. I bought seabuckthorn seeds from several places in the mid 90s & grew them out. I would say seedling plants need 8-10 years to be fruitful. & of course fruit size & production is hugely variable.

Carandale Farms in Madison grew out a bunch of the One Green World selections based on a SARE grant & to my eye they are a huge improvement over the seedling varieties. So if you can afford them, by all means.....

~mIEKAL