nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear (Pyrus pyrifolia) pollination

  • From: "Jay Cutts" <cutts@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear (Pyrus pyrifolia) pollination
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 17:23:05 MST

I remember reading recently about a couple varieties that are self-fruitful
but there was a warning that in colder climates, they may not pollinate well.
I'm glad to see they are doing well in Quebec.

I solved the problem by buying a tree that has four varieties grafted onto it.

> I have found conflicting information about the need for a pollinator for
these. Are they self-
> fruitful? (One source said Shinseiki "tends to be self-fruitful", but other
cultivars require a
> pollinator). Supplementary question: any comments on root stocks? (One
source seems to
> suggest that European pear stocks work fine, but I have a vague recollection
from the distant
> past of talk of incompatibilities.)

> sites.
> permission!
>
> **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
> No exceptions.
> ----
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used
to change other email options):