nafex - [NAFEX] muscadines for the north?

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] muscadines for the north?
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 07:16:53 -0800 (PST)

I really like the unique flavor of muscadine grapes, but I live in zone 5.
(Where I can grow plenty of other great grapes, so I shouldn't complain,
but...) I read that muscadines are hardy only to zone 7, so I was resigned to
being unable to grow them, but then I read about this muscadine/bunch grape
hybrid:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/PP09454.html
Apparently, hybrids between the two species are usually sterile, but this one
is fertile. It seems to be mostly muscadine. Unfortunately, the nurseries
selling it say that it, like regular muscadines, is hardy only to zone 7.

But it got me thinking that, if one fertile hybrid is possible, more should
also be possible. If someone crossed a muscadine with a really cold-hardy
grape, they might produce something I could grow. Is anyone doing something
like this?

Melissa
getting tired of looking at snow