nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear (Pyrus pyrifolia) pollination

  • From: Drevniok <colleendaly@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Asian pear (Pyrus pyrifolia) pollination
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 09:17:58 -0500

My (lone) Asian pear (variety unknown) set fruit without any pollinators. I have since added a "regular" Flemish Beauty and a Clapp's.
and really can't notice that it made a big difference in the amount of fruit setting on the Asian pear - perhaps a little better.

Peter Drevniok, Gatineau, Quebec zone 5

david.maxwell@dal.ca wrote:
I have found conflicting information about the need for a pollinator for
these. Are they self-
fruitful? (One source said Shinseiki "tends to be self-fruitful", but other cultivars require a pollinator). Supplementary question: any comments on root stocks? (One source seems to suggest that European pear stocks work fine, but I have a vague recollection from the distant past of talk of incompatibilities.)

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):