nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wabash pawpaw

  • From: "Ron Powell, PhD" <Botrytis@fuse.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wabash pawpaw
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:08:35 -0500

Larry,

I'll attempt to respond to your question about Wabash before you begin to think that no one is reading your e-mail's or that your computer is broke.

I have seen Wabash at the KYSU farm on numerous occasions and tasted the fruit.  The fruit is of good size and tastes great!  I did not notice any Phyllosticta on the foliage or leaves.  There were no unusual growth characteristics.  I believe that Wabash might be the best of the Peterson pawpaws.

When the Potomac, Alleghany, and Wabash pawpaws were first introduced. there were production issues with Wabash and the availability of the Wabash plant was extremely scarce.  I believe that this might explain why there are not many Wabash plants in production.

Ron