nafex - [NAFEX] cornus mas

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cornus mas
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 14:51:05 -0500

I have three cornus mas, two of which are a couple of years older than the
other. One of the older ones has finally started fruiting (2 fruits a couple
years ago, 20 last summer.) The fruiting one is "Pioneer".

The Pioneer lost its leader when it was shipped to me, and it's never
developed a new one. So it has a main stem that goes about 3.5', maybe 4'
high. There are two horizontal branches off that, each of which splits in a
couple of inches into two parts. So it has a fairly nice, symmetric shape,
just sort of flat.

I'm concerned, though, that it doesn't seem to want to get any higher.
1) Does this matter?
2) If yes, should I try to prop up a side branch and hope it will become a
leader?
3) Or should I let one of the shoots that develops from below the graft grow
up and become the leader? I have no idea how much difference there is
between a selected variety and whatever the random rootstock might be.

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6

warm enough to day for it to be pleasant to prune the brambles.