nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas,are they really as good as people say

  • From: "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cornus mas,are they really as good as people say
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:41:02 -0600

Hello Mark, and Ginda,
We've worked with named varieties and seedlings and find the named ones to be larger fruited primarily and more productive.
The best way we have found to use them is in a syrup over vanilla ice cream. Extraordinary! I believe this was recommended by someone on this list some months ago.
Being in the dogwood family, they don't have a strong central leader - my oldest trees, maybe 16 years, are still not tall. Maybe 10 ft. We have picked when red and brought them into a cool place to let them fully ripen to dark red. We boil, mash and strain off the juice for jelly or syrup. A lot of work but I think it's work it. Probably also healthful with antho cyanins. Hector Black, xone 6 lmiddle TN

----- Original Message ----- From: "mark wessel" <growyourown@earthlink.net>