nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Harvesting Great Fruit in Late Dec. in Z6

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: dwoodard@becon.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Harvesting Great Fruit in Late Dec. in Z6
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:12:21 -0500

Doug,

A good substitute is supposed to be shisandra, the magnolia vine. It has
proven hardy here in Green Bay WI z4/5 and produced berries for the last four
years. I have probably limited its growth somewhat by keeping it in a five
gallon pail (outside). Like kiwi, it has male and female flowers on separate
plants, except for a variety or two. The one I have is called Prince, if I
am not mistaken, from Jung's Seeds and Nursery in Randolph WI.
I collected the seed and have it in the refrigerator breaking dormancy. I
have started a number of apple seeds and have attempted the same strategy on
the shisandra seeds, although I do recognize that it is unlikely that I will
end up with both sexes on a single plant.

Quince is supposed to be provide a nice alternative to lemon juice. I know
Oikos Tree Crops sold a variety of quince species.

Merry Christmas

Jim Elie