nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Harvesting Great Fruit in Late Dec. in Z6

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Harvesting Great Fruit in Late Dec. in Z6
  • Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:09:57 +0000

Hey Alan,

You reminded me of 'Winter Jewel' which is listed in the Fruit, Berry, and
Nut Inventory, which is described as tasting like maraschino cherry juice
after repeated freeze thaw periods.

I strive to always have something in my yard, year round, that I can eat
while just looking over things. Winter is a little more difficult but it can
be done.

(Was the flavor of those crabapples enhanced with a little wild fermentation?)

Thanks,

Jim Elie
Green Bay WI
zone 4/5