nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Kumquat seed preservation? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Richard Harrison <rharrison922@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Kumquat seed preservation? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 03:51:20 -0800 (PST)

Seedling kumquat trees have a built-in advantage in that if they ever freeze to the ground they can come back the same fruit. Whereas when grafted it would come back as whatever the rootstock was. Own-rooted citrus has the same advantage. I knew a man in central Florida who propagated own-rooted citrus trees in the 1980's and early 1990's. He sold a lot of it to GA citrus growers.
                                            Richard