nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Jerusalem Artichokes

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Jerusalem Artichokes
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 12:42:54 -0800 (PST)

If the form of your ja's was knobby and commercially available, then I think the likelihood is that they are Stampede.  No guarantee of course, but Stampede is the one most easy to find for along time.  If you want a different kind, you have to hunt for them.  Personally we prefer the smooth ones, such as Red Fuseau.  However, with the smooth ones I've tried, there is more work digging them, as they tend to move out from the plant crown a bit.  Stampede stays close to the crown and seems a bit more vigorous.

I pnated several varieties one year and have never had to replant.  In fact, I struggle to keep them out of the rest of the garden.

John