nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Jerusalem Artichokes

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Jerusalem Artichokes
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 14:43:10 -0500

Hi Naomi

I have been growing the varieties Stampede and Red Rover. Both have had
impressive tuber production. The Stampede is a better producer but the Red
Rover is a smooth variety and not knobby like the Stampede which is more work
to clean. Once cleaned they will store in the refrigerator in a plastic bag
for several weeks, at least. Oikos Tree Crops has just started offering a few
more varieties and have posted some nice pics of each of their offerings.

Wherever you place them make sure that it is space you are willing to give
up. They will claim it as their own and slowly spread outward. Mowing
around the designated patch may control them somewhat. Aside from their
tenacity, I found mine to be relatively carefree and easily able to tolerate
my zone 4/5 area. I enjoy them and want to try more varieties, just wish I
had larger areas to space them apart.

One of the harder things was finding recipes to use them in. I am much more
adventurous in the eating department than my wife but she enjoys them
roasted.

Take Care

Jim Elie
Green Bay WI