nafex - [NAFEX] OT Jerusalem Artichokes

  • From: "Anton Ptak" <antonptak@gmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] OT Jerusalem Artichokes
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:31:16 -0600

I looked into buying them from a few sources and realized they were twice as much as they were in the local food coop when they were in season (may). I inquired with the produce manager if I could get some for planting and she was able to secure a bushel of the last ugly ones of the season that wouldn't sell, and I got them for a decent price. No idea what variety they are. We planted a bushel in about a 100sq ft area and that seemed a little tight- probably could have cut that in half and still had more than enough.

Speaking of brining, we were very impressed at our "sauerchokes", we call them. For us, they tend to grow mold a bit more on top than other lacto-fermented vegetables, but scrape it off and they're wonderful. I also noticed the gassiness sometimes experienced after eating sunchokes was absent, but that may be due to some other factor I'm not considering (perhaps we're eating less of the sauerchokes than when we cook them up).

Anton Ptak
W. Wisc zone 4a