nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Baltimore City Fruit Tree Plantings

  • From: "Chris Garriss" <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Baltimore City Fruit Tree Plantings
  • Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 21:14:41 +0000

"Not possible" was likely too strong - some species would be much more difficult.  There are some additional pests - never saw a Japanese beetle when I was growing up; now they are an obnoxious pest where my sister lives near Frederick MD.  We had sweet (always referred to as "Blackheart" cherries) and tart (Morello), which were essentially pest free.  Pears (seckel and others I do not remember), apples (Black Twig, Arkansas Black, an apple we called May, Grimes Golden, tree referred to as the "apple sauce tree", and a huge crabapple), and lots of other small fruits.  Among other "wild" fruits were wild cherries everywhere.  None of the cultivated ones were sprayed with anything, pruned minimally.  All were full size trees.  And naturally the wildings got no attention other than picking of fruits and nuts when ripe...no one bothered much about the wild cherries for anything.