nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Baltimore City Fruit Tree Plantings

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Baltimore City Fruit Tree Plantings
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 11:24:45 -0500 (EST)

When I was at the U of Oregon many years ago, I remember 5 Asian persimmon
trees on campus, loaded with fruit every Fall, but only a few of us harvested
them and ate them fresh, leaving many unused until the squirrels ate them.

But I still think pawpaws should be considered for the project - once a few
people start eating them, acceptance will spread - especially with Maryland
being home to the Pawpaw Tunnel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paw_Paw_Tunnel
and home to some pawpaw research - http://www.fred.net/kathy/pawpaws.html

Jim Nottke